   [xml-dev] "The serialization of the XML Infoset is XML" (WAS: [xml-dev]

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: [xml-dev] "The serialization of the XML Infoset is XML" (WAS: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial))
  • From: "Tomayko, Ryan" <Ryan_Tomayko@stercomm.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:57:06 -0400

> John Cowan wrote:

> "The serialization of the XML Infoset is XML"

I think this statement holds true for the base infoset rec, but how does
everyone feel about infoset extensions? I've been going over the latest
XInclude rec and noticed that the following from section 4.5 - "Creating the
Result Infoset" could potentially be harmful to John's statement:

<<
"Each top-level included item is assigned an extension property [included]
with the boolean value "true". Information items which were not processed as
top-level included items will have no value for the [included] property.
This property might be used by applications which require knowledge of where
inclusion has been performed."

So, assuming I've run a source infoset through an XInclude processor and now
have an augmented result infoset that I wish to serialize as XML, is there
any way to maintain the exact state of the infoset? i.e. How do I preserve
extension properties like "included"?

Or are "extension properties" to the infoset only relevant during the
lifespan of the parse?

Sorry if this has been hashed out before (maybe in regard to PSVI), but the
statement "The serialization of the XML Infoset is XML" seems only partially
true given the current state of the recs and drafts.

Thanks,

- Ryan Tomayko