   Re: [xml-dev] parser models

From: "Amelia A Lewis" <amyzing@talsever.com>

> To the best of my knowledge, there are no public lexical (editor) APIs.
> Building a lexical API on top of a syntactic one is ... backwards.

The other option is that if you are interested in lexical fidelity
and need to handle editing large documents, it may be better to abandon
the tree model entirely in favour of incremental parsing from a list of
parse-state/location pairs.  For example, you could just keep a list
or tree with the location of each "<" used as a delimiter, and reparse
the tags as needed.

The kinds of strategies you can use for piddly small documents are
very different from those for 1 Meg or 10 Meg documents.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe
Topologi Pty. Ltd.