   RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: War of Attrition (was: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS:

I'm curious, Jonathan, because this corresponds to the integration
thread I was posting to.  What are the cost benefits of X-Query
over say, SQL?  Is this simply to be able to program to a document
model API (ie, Infoset-based?)

Apart from the usual geek quibbling, it becomes increasingly
important that the Infoset-based view or paradigm for creating
clients become exposed and understood.  It is hard to convince
someone used to HTML/ASP like systems that there is any advantage
to moving on to XML unless this model is understood in terms of
its advantages.   Why swap out working data access tools for new
ones if the old ones are doing the same job?  I watched the
video from the MS project manager cited here last week, and it
all sounds marvelous (eg, XML data documents, etc), but nowhere
did I get a good sense, other than support, or why I should
move away from MDAC and embrace this Infoset-centric world.

So why do it?  Benefits?

len

From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com]

It's quite true that XQuery is more complex to implement than an XML
parser. That's a way of measuring cost. It's also true that a car is more
expensive than a bicycle. I would only buy a car instead of a bicycle if I
thought there was a benefit to doing so. Traditional cost/benefit analysis
looks at both the cost and the benefit, not just the cost.