   RE: [xml-dev] Web Services - what is the alternative? (was TAG on HLink

Rob Griffin asks:
> Or is the answer that no form of RPC is acceptable?

I'm not at all opposed to RPC in cases where RPC is appropriate.

I do, however, consider RPC as something entirely separate from "the
Web", and "Web Services" in their RPC form as an oxymoron.

There are lots of alternatives to RPC for a computer-readable Web, even
if they don't come with toolkits - sure, it's work, but I'd rather
people worked in ways appropriate to the medium they choose to use than
slide through using tools that do what they do without giving much of a
damn for how.  (Will the word at the start of the line set off the
censorware?)

For one discussion, see:
http://simonstl.com/articles/weblike.html

If you want RPC, there are lots of options.  The Web never had to enter
into that equation, and so far as I can tell, contributes absolutely
nothing.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether