   RE: [xml-dev] Web Services - what is the alternative? (was TAG on HLink)

[[[
From: Rob Griffin [mailto:Rob.Griffin@oz.quest.com]

So here's the question. What is the alternative to Web Services? REST
advocates
say REST is best, but there is no toolkit for creating or using REST
based
services that I know of. Accessing current web sites that return HTML is

not acceptable or easy to do. Things like cookie management and login
mechanisms
should be transparent to the caller of the service.
'Use REST' is no answer if there is no easy and standard way to do it.
If
there was a 'complete' alternative based on REST principles then
developers
might use it.

]]]

First off, REST and web services are not in conflict; there is a "RPC
gateway" flavour of web services that doesn't mesh at all well with the
REST style, mostly because it doesn't provide addresses for all the
interesting resources and hides them behind function calls.

I appreciate what you're asking; it is however akin to asking back in
1993 if there's a toolkit for Design Patterns. Back then there was no
standard or easy way to do Design Patterns; today for many developers
they're a reflexive way of thinking about software. I imagine the same
will become true for REST, but I don't think it will happen through a
REST cookie cutter toolkit.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon