   Re: [xml-dev] TAG on HLink

Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

| My (HyTime-inflected) expectation of XLink was that attribute mapping was
| the point of it,

Mostly it was, in the beginning, when the namespace bogosity was not yet
beloved dogma.

| and I recall being surprised when it first appeared, that there was no
| provision for that at all.

Once colonification became a Standing Order, perforce XLink development
under W3C aegis had to ob^H^Hconf^H^H^H^Hreconsider.

| Attribute remapping means that documents and DTDs can import semantics
| for free,

By annotative means, yes.

| and a remapper-aware processor can discover a new <goto place="..."
| >content</goto> element and know what it's expected to do with it.

Yes, the semantics of remapping are entirely generic and mechanical, in
effect operating at the syntax level.

| However, your description of it as merely `really quite nice' suggests
| that there's a use-case here for which XLink's practice of scattering
| special attributes is an adequate solution.  What am I missing?

The case when all kids agree that only one kid can play in the sandbox.
(The supposed necessity of colonification rests on the dogmatic premise
that name mapping is *un*necessary.)