   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP patented

> Not to rain on the parade, but reading the application, this appears to be
> reuse of the name (Simple Object Access Protocol) and the original purpose
> (defeating the security offered by firewalls), but is not actually at all
> the same thing that is represented by SOAP 1.1 or the current XML Protocol
> Work.

I can confirm this.

The SOAP they're talking about here is not the SOAP we're using in the XML
world.

It's really confusing, the new SOAP is a re-use of something that died
inside Microsoft. They liked the name, and wanted to use it for something
important.

Another clue is the date on the submission, in November 1997. Work on SOAP,
as XML-over-HTTP, the protocol in use today, didn't start until March 1998.

Further, before we announced SOAP, I asked Microsoft if they had filed a
patent on it, and they said they had not. This was a material concern for
us. We didn't want to endorse something that Microsoft had patented. Another
large software company told us they were sure that Microsoft *had* filed a
patent. I suppose we have just a few more months to find out for sure one
way or the other.

Dave