   Design pattern

Hi

Some food for thought:
Thinking more about what stuff like xlink brings (after some debugging
of its current specs) we can say that it is the composite pattern
applied to markup. To find more about the composite pattern take a look
at the book "design pattern" by Gamma and al.

This is also what architectural forms are allowing to do. This is a
powerful pattern that allows you, for instance, to traverse a tree of
visual objects. Even if all the visual objects are different with
different characteristics you can treat them as the same object. We can
say that a DOM could also be applying the composite pattern. Even if I
have an <address> element contained in a <form> element, I can process
both through a single interface: a node. And so on and so forth. We can
say that one strength of the XML framework is the application of the
composite pattern. Having a common linkage for several domain language
provide the same advantages.

Other references about the composite pattern:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~cork/teachjava/2001/revised-notes/rev/node28.htm
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~cork/teachjava/2001/revised-notes/rev/node43.htm
or simply type composite pattern in a google's search box :-)

cheers
Didier PH Martin