   RE: [xml-dev] Rethinking namespaces, attribute remapping (was Re:[xml-de

>From: "Rich Salz" <rsalz@datapower.com>
>Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Rethinking namespaces, attribute remapping (was
Re:[xml-dev] TAG on HLink)

>> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jeff Greif wrote:
>>
>> > You can imagine a single
>> > piece of code acting as the guts of a client that can access any web
>service
>> > described by WSDL.
>>
>> Without any knowledge of the operation's semantics?  Such a thing will
>> only be useful as a debugging tool.

Actually, we're doing something similar, using XForms on top of WSDL with a
Schema, which all three together provide a chain of knowledge from the web
service to the user and back.

On demand, a web service can provide a template for a unit of work, which a
user agent can transform into something presentable to the user, and then
back into something presentable to the web service for invocation later.

The template is a simple container document which lists the WSDL and Schema,
a prototype instance, and an XForms model and abstract UI controls bound to
changeable nodes in the instance.  The WSDL provides the operation
semantics, the XML Schema provides the datatypes, and the XForms provides
the human-readable explanation of the semantics (and some additional
client-side validation).

I hope to write this up as a paper for WWW2003, whose deadline is fast
approaching.

Leigh.