   Re: [xml-dev] limits of the generic

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 00:11, John Cowan wrote:
> Simon St.Laurent scripsit:
>
> > See, for instance, the "data versus text" section at the end of:
> > http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/RngBookTextPatterns.html
> >
> > That feels to me like an overstep.
>
> Ah, I see.  But the restrictions on the use of datatypes in mixed content
> are primarily for the benefit of validator implementers.  It's much easier
> if you can define datatypes with a separate module that gets all the
> available content and then either matches or doesn't, deterministically.

Sorry, I cant't buy this argument :-) !

The datatypes libraries are implemented as independent modules, and they
are so independent that they act on text nodes independently of the
content model (mixed, simple or even -in the case of Relax NG which kind
of extends the notion of text nodes- attributes or lists of tokens).

Having implemented most of the Relax NG specification in my xvif[1]
implementation, I can tell you that "data" patterns in mixed content are
"natively" supported by the derivative method described by James Clark
and that ruling them out would add a significant amount of non trivial
code (which I haven't implemented yet since this is not my priority of
the moment)...

[1] http://downloads.xmlschemata.org/python/xvif/

Eric
--