   RE: [xml-dev] namespaces in XML 1.1 - namespace names become *IRI* refer

I agree that this has been discussed controversially. Fact is, the
specification says...

"[Definition:] The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the namespace name
identifying the namespace."

It is also fact that there is software that *does* check this constraint
(for instance James Clark's Jing). So -- if any -- this shows that
namespaces 1.1 should clarify *that* (right now, it seems to have the same
problem as 1.0).