   Re: [xml-dev] Datatypes - it's in the contract

Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> wrote:

| To me, the most fundamental reason for datatypes is to allow them to be
| part of the contract between producers and consumers of data.

Yes, and the specifics of contracts between producers and consumers vary
across producers and consumers.

| If the applications that use this data require data of the appropriate
| type, and we want validation to be able to determine whether the contract
| is being followed,

Who is "we"?  Weren't you talking about producers and consumers bound by
some contractual understanding?

Shouldn't that be "they"?

| then we have to allow data types to be declared.

Ah, declare!  Have you heard of notation declarations?

Just because you and I need to validate the farglebarps we exchange by
contractual wgreement, does not imply that the rest of the universe
"needs" to have validation of farglebarps built into their systems.

Give up your seat at the table with the back room boys, and you may see
this.