   Notations for datatypes

At 06:37 AM 9/29/2002 +0100, Jeni Tennison wrote:

>So, aside from it being an obvious travesty to shoe-horn them into
>DTDs, could you use the W3C XML Schema data types in a DTD by
>declaring a NOTATION? The equivalent of:
>
>   datatypes xs = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes";
>
>   element date { xs:date }
>
>being something along the lines of:
>
>   <!NOTATION xs.date
>              PUBLIC 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes#date'>
>
>   <!ELEMENT date (#PCDATA)>
>   <!ATTLIST date
>     type NOTATION (xs.date) #FIXED 'xs.date'>

Rick Jelliffe reminded me in private email that he had proposed notations
to the W3C XML Schema WG as a way of declaring data types. Let me ask a few
questions about a notation-based design for declaring datatypes:

1. How do you declare the types of attributes?
2. How do you define common libraries of data types using notations that
are shared across schemas?
3. How would using a syntax based on notations simplify the design of the
schema language as a whole - what difference would it make?

Jonathan