   Re: [xml-dev] limits of the generic

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 10:31 AM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Tim Bray writes:
>> Yep, but I think links have special importance to the Web and should
>> be manifest in documents used on the Web. -Tim
>
> Perhaps they should reflect existing Web practice as well - which is
> HTML practice?

Hmm, clearly nobody would argue that *all* aspects of HTML practice are
just fine, or we could shut down and go home.  As I understand it, the
HTML WG is mandated with finding ways to improve existing Web practice.
  The argument is over the technical details of how we do this.

My position is that to the extent that documents can be
self-describing, you win.  I certainly don't deny that there's a cost
in verbosity and that the trade-off is not obvious. -Tim