   Re: [xml-dev] Are hyperlinks presentation or content?

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 01:53 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I think in the case of using Opera CSS with DocBook, the links are in
> fact marked up in the DocBook document.  The CSS just specifies
> particular interactive presentation (processing) for those links.
>
> I'd say both the inline markup and the decoupling are already there.

Hm, it's subtler than that, since you could have used the CSS to
specify that *anything* in the docbook instance is to be treated as a
hyperlink.  I.e. the hyperlink-ness is in the CSS not in the instance.

I  can see the elegance in this.

Dammit, I'm still uncomfortable with moving this information from a
self-descriptive form in the instance to another resource, and I'm
uncomfortable with the notion that "font-family" is at a similar
semantic level to "hyperlink".   More thought required. -Tim