   Re: [xml-dev] limits of the generic

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] limits of the generic
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: 01 Oct 2002 09:21:31 +0200

Hi Jeni,

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 00:52, Jeni Tennison wrote:

> >> <dt:datatype name="my:UKDate">
> >> <!-- a date in the format DD/MM/YYYY -->
> >>
> >> <dt:components>
> >>   <dt:component name="day" select="substring(., 1, 2)" />
> >>   <dt:component name="month" select="substring(., 4, 2)" />
> >>   <dt:component name="year" select="substring(., 7, 4)" />
> >> </dt:components>

If you allow the plug, this looks rather parallel to what I am proposing
with xvif (see for instance in my strawman [1] the test cases spilting
dates as a list of tokens [2] or elements [3] which you can also try
online).

I am currently trying to define the basic building blocks of xvif, but
at a later stage, dt:compents(s) could be good candidates as shortcuts.

Xvif doesn't support a test like you've shown, but I am wondering if it
shouldn't support variables in such case this kind of test should be
possible to express...

And of course, as already mentioned, there is no reasons why xvif
couldn't be used either standalone or in other host languages than Relax
NG in which case XSLT would be the number one candidate!

[1] http://downloads.xmlschemata.org/python/xvif/xvif.html
[2]
http://downloads.xmlschemata.org/python/xvif/tests/iframe/strawman/007/
[3]