   Re: [xml-dev] re: Are hyperlinks presentation or content?

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 11:18 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Joshua Allen wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be fair to say that hyperlinks are neither presentation nor
> > content, but rather semantics/metadata?
>
> Some documents are totally useless without their hyperlinks. e.g. RSS.
> So I think that the hyperlinks are as much the "real data" as the titles
> and descriptions.

In that case, certainly. In general... in general nothing; it depends on the
case.

Are the URLs in XBEL links or just URLs-as-data? Depends on your viewpoint, I
guess :-) Either way they're certainly content.

A link to an image with the intention that the target of the link be embedded
is pretty presentational, especially if it's a 1x1 transparent gif stretched
to make a spacer...

LINK REL="stylesheet" is definitely related to presentation in *some* way.

Links as semantics... yeah, I can see that perspective too; it's the
semantics of the clickable bits. Particularly when the 'link' is javascript:
or mailto: - but that's a bit naughty anyway.

>   Paul Prescod

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen