   RE: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Dare Obasanjo opines:
> If people spent as much times giving feedback to W3C working groups
> as they spent angrily and impotently railing on XML-DEV maybe some
> progress would be made.

That's a big maybe, especially when the complaints reach down to the
foundation of the endeavor the W3C is undertaking.  This "impotent
railing" you claim to see seems more effective for the discussion of
foundation issuess than the throwing of one's views on the mercy of an
all-powerful and often confidential committee with its own narrow focus.

> However I just looked at the W3C XML Query archive and even though my
> XML-DEV folder has about 100 messages wailing about XQuery and XPath
> 2.0, I don't see one message related to the XML-DEV discussion. I
> guess people just love to complain instead of providing constructive
> feedback.

I guess we just have different perspectives on constructive.  You seem
to like the W3C system, while I find the W3C system broken from the
outset, with organizational failings that make technical progress
difficult at best.

As a result, I find that "complaining" is far more constructive from my
point of view than efforts to participate politely under the terms the
W3C lays down.  Reminding the world that there are other means than
vendor consortia to develop shared technical solutions seems like a
worthwhile activity, even if it happens to irk participants in certain
consortia.

But then, hey, maybe someday they'll get the TAG's F2F minutes from last
week published, and we'll be so awed by the brilliance of the technical
discussion on XLink/HLink that all such objections will melt away...

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether