   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Hi Mike,

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 06:00, Mike Champion wrote:

> The basic reason is that the DOM abstract schemas thingie really didn't
> meet anyone's requirements.

Yes, that's probably the reason even though I was starting to think that
it could meet a -specific yet non null- need.

> The original idea was to find the intersection
> of what DTDs, XSD schemas, and other schemas We assumed at the time that
> the "other" would be XDR, but Microsoft seems to have been pretty diligent
> at stomping that out of the world's collective mindshare.  As it turns
> out, the obvious "other" would be RELAX NG).

And I think that it was doing well in this respect!

> The trouble is, nobody really
> wants such an API, or at least nobody made themselves known.

Yes, as you said, the need that was met by AS was not obvious and
furthermore it wasn't meeting the expectations set by its name.

From the name, the first thought was that it was a way to expose schema
stuff including PSVI like annotation while it turned out to be kind of
hiding schemas as implementation details and were a sort of black box to
which applications could ask if a modification made to a document was
valid or not.

I am still thinking that there is a need for this -even if it solves
neither the PSVI issues nor the need for abstracting the schemas- and
that it's a good way (if not the only one) to be schema agnostic. Maybe
the name was just bad and it should have been called "validation query
interface" of something like that!

Eric
--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/