   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

10/2/2002 12:13:32 AM, "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> wrote:

>However I just looked at the W3C XML Query archive and even though my
>XML-DEV folder has about 100 messages wailing about XQuery and XPath
>2.0, I don't see one message related to the XML-DEV discussion. I guess
>people just love to complain instead of providing constructive feedback.
>> features, that might trigger some reassessments.

The W3C patent policy situation is instructive.  There was a flamestorm
about a year ago that got everyone's attention, but there were some
solid, closely reasoned arguments that actually changed peoples' minds.
The trump card was the implicit threat to "fork" the web standards
community.  So, what Dare said: complain to the comments list(s),
do so constructively, but also point out the "social" costs of a world where
the W3C Recommendations are only implemented by the biggest companies
for the dominant platforms.  That is *not* what brought the Web to
greatness, and invites forking of XPath by other organizations and
individuals.

[Mind you, I personally <duck> think that the effect of all this has
been a Bad Thing in the patent policy situation,
but if you want a case study on how to get the W3C
leadership to instruct a working group on the realities of life and
to go back and rethink things from the ground up, this is it]