   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Michael Kay wrote:

> But I think that once people are dealing with really large
> vocabularies, constructing the patterns in terms of element names gets
> more and more difficult, and being able to match against types at
> different levels of a type hierarchy gets more and more valuable.

I disagree - I have yet to see a data transformation/extraction
application get in trouble because there were too many element names -
but I think that neither of us can claim that there's a really large
body of evidence to back up our positions.  This is why I'm unhappy that
the XQuery WG is charging down the path of building a type-centric
schema-centric system bulging with unnecessary complexity, on the basis
of this speculative hypothesis.  -Tim