   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns (off topic)

Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre <dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com> writes:

> Jeni said:
>
> >Actually I think we can break this pattern down into two classes:
> >
> >   1. grouping elements based on their *content* -- in other words, the
> >      *type* hierarchy
> >
> >   2. grouping elements based on their *context* -- in other words, the
>       *substitution group* hierarchy
>
> >  The current focus in XPath/XQuery is very much on 1 rather than 2.
>
> Yes, but that has been one of my major objections to W3C XML Schema
> all along. W3C only gave us #1 really and some very crude mechanisms
> for #2. The XPath/XQuery folk are heading in the same direction.

I'd be very grateful for examples of where substitution groups don't
enable the reconstruction of parameter entity usage a la Maler and El
Andaloussi.  I know about the multiple inheritance problem here, and
we're looking at that as a possible requirement for XML Schema 1.1,
but even here clear examples of what you can't do without that would
be helpful in arguing the case.

ht