   Some real-world linking examples

Norm,

> | I agree. Currently you have to do this by importing a stylesheet with
> | the templates matching individual list types and do
> | <xsl:apply-imports>. I've done this recently in order to add a linking
> | semantic to (practically) all the elements in a document, and it's
>
> What markup did you...no, that's another thread. Nevermind :-)

It's not my design, but out-of-line XLink, basically of the form:

  <link>
    <text>...</text>
    <from xlink:href="..." />
    <to xlink:href="..." />
    <go />
  </link>

The <go> is an arc-type element. I think that for these out-of-line
links, XLink was a reasonable choice, even if it does require the
messiness of <go>. Though of course the links are just being processed
by XSLT at the moment so really it could have been:

  <link from="..." to="...">...</link>

and it would have satisfied all the requirements and been simpler in
the instance document and in the DTD.

Another language I've been working with recently has linking elements
that has different attributes for different kinds of links: 'skip' for
on-site links that get opened up in the same window or 'jump' for
off-site links that get opened up in a new window. I guess that it
could have used xlink:href for the link and then toggled the behaviour
through the xlink:show attribute, but that's an extra attribute, an
extra namespace and it's supposed to be a small, *fun* language! Plus
it's only going to get transformed into HTML or XSL-FO or something
similar, and it's not like XMetaL gives any special XLink support, so
there didn't seem much point in using XLink there.

Cheers,

Jeni
---
Jeni Tennison