   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Jeni Tennison wrote:
> XSLT processors could do the kind of optimisation you're talking about
> *right now*, based on DTDs. Do they? If they don't, then why not?
Apart from the problem that DTD related optimisations are hard to
do locally, I guess one reason is that the DTD analysis and the
appropriate optimisations have to be done a run time rather than at
compile time. And of course, it is rather unclear whether the expense
for the optimisation is offset by speed gains, unless the documents
are really big. Keeping the optimisation for multiple transformation
runs in order to make it worthwhile is also something which seems to
require extensions to current APIs, another obstacle.

J.Pieschmann