   Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:39:34PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com> was heard to say:
> | Looking at its current incarnation, it's difficult to see that XSL has
> | successfully overcome the biggest challenges it faced.  In the early
> | days, ISTR a Scheme-like syntax.
>
> I have no recollection of a scheme-based proposal.

Then I must be misremembering.  I thought there was something like
	 (rule
		 <head>
		  <title>
	  (some-construction-or-other))

Maybe I was misremembering:

	<rule>
	  <head>
	   <title/>
	  </head>
	 <some-construction-or-other>
	  <!-- something that maches html/head/title -->
	 </some-construction-or-other>
	</rule>

It was at the tutorial you and Paul Grosso gave in Seattle in 1998.
There may have been some handwaving because the slides used parens
(noting the DSSSL ancestry), but the proposal-of-the-moment had
switched to an all-XML syntax.

> | It was similar in its syntax, but
> | vastly different in its semantics than DSSSL.
>
> I'd hardly describe it as vastly different today, so I'm not sure what
> you mean.

It's four+ years ago, and not terribly important.  I remember thinking
that the way of specifying matching subtrees with <rule> and some
fragment was different than the DSSSL style of (element html ...)
or (element (html head title)...).  Especially when things could match
based on attributes of an ancestor, or existance of a sibling (or an
ancestor's sibling).

Z.