   Re: [xml-dev] Just Can't Get No REST

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> The point is simple:  sources have to be vetted.

It is a requirement of some applications that sources be vetted. Yes. It
is not a requirement of some other applications. And it has nothing to
do with RPC versus REST versus ....

> Google and XML alone are not up to the requirements
> of web services.

Web services is not a monolithic thing. If I want to find the URL for
the SOAP interface for Edgar (if there were such a thing) I would use
Google, not UDDI, if only for usability reasons. I guarantee that
clicking this link will give you more useful information than spending a
day in a UDDI repository:

  * http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=EDGAR+SOAP

I can also see circumstances where I would want a vetted source, perhaps
looked up by a machine at runtime. I would not use Google for that but
neither would I use UDDI.

  Paul Prescod