   Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web

> Finally, if anyone is involved in the same industries and tasks that SGML was
> developed for and continues to thrive in (large industrial technical/legal/reference
> publishing) then SGML has been shown time and time again to deliver. (Which is
> not to say that SGML is an automatic guarantee of success, or always suitable or
> appropriate, any more than that using Java will guarantee Write-Once-Run-Everywhere
> or that using a Microsoft product will guarantee virus infection.)

Long time SGMLers (and owners of significant content) may be very
interested in a paper written by Patrick Durusau of the SBL and Matthew
OP'Donnel of OpenText entitled "Just-In-Time-Trees (JITTs): Next Step in
the Evolution of Markup" available at:

     http://sbl-site2.org/Extreme2002/

along with an implementation in XSLT.

JITTs promise a way to do CONCUR, DATATAG, and variant concrete syntaxes
right -- with great gains in efficiency. What would I do for a
JITT-enabled sp ...

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.