   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

> Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> > Personally, I try to make clear to a broad group of people
> > that the W3C is not monolithically good - only some of their
> > work is worth using - and make sure they do as little damage
> > as possible in cases where people accept their work
> > uncritically.  I don't think there's much hope for many of
> > the XML-oriented projects underway, nor do I think the working
> > groups or the organization have any interest in hearing that.
> > Being friendly and cooperative seems completely inappropriate
> > given the present situation.
>

> At risk of being called naïve once again, this seems very
> counterproductive if the ultimate goal is widespread interoperability.
> If the energy and criticism poured daily into this list were directed
> towards the WGs as Jenni suggests, I wonder how things might be
> different.

A lot of the energy in this list is directed towards constructive discussions
of what could replace the specs we dislike so much.  Many of us have put a lot
of energy into W3C-alternative (or complementary) technologies such as EXSLT,
RNG, XOM, JDOM, pull DOMs, TransQuery and much more.  Most of us can hardly
put our energy into W3C WDs, being that we're not W3C members.  We could maybe
direct all our comments to the public comment lists of the W3C, but W3C WGs
have established for themselves a reputation of insouciance and even arrogance
in their attitude to public comment.  This reputation is not entirely correct,
but it is there, and does not encourage a spirit of public donation of time to
help the WGs do their work.

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
Python&XML column: Tour of Python/XML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.
html