   Re: [xml-dev] Annotations in XPath-NG? (Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 co

Hi Tom,

>> Personally I'd use qualified names rather than URIs for the
>> "lookup", but that's because I envisage getting to annotation
>> information through an axis rather than through a function and
>> because QNames are easier to write than URIs. Perhaps a function:
>>
>>   annotations(node)
>>
>> that returns a node set, and let the user use XPath mechanisms for
>> doing the lookup within that node set?
>
> I would say the function, because I see annotations as closely tied
> to nodes that they annotate. If we only had an axis, we could get
> annotations but it would be harder to tie them to their nodes. That
> would not be so if annotation::* only returns annotations associated
> with the context node, but that seems too limited to need an axis.
> Otherwise I like the idea of an axis but think that there should be
> a function anyway.

Hmm... I think I disagree because I can imagine it might sometimes be
useful to get the annotations of the same kind from a whole bunch of
nodes. For example to answer the question "Does this element have any
attributes with a type of xs:ID?" you might use:

  @*/annotation::xsi:type = "xs:ID"

of course you could do the equivalent with:

  @*[annotations(.)/xsi:type = "xs:ID"]

but then you could do the equivalent of:

  annotations(foo)

with:

  foo[1]/annotation::*

if you were only interested in the first foo element.

I guess that I'm in favour of using axes rather than functions
whenever you get a bunch of nodes returned by applying some process to
a context node. But if Uche's talking about just adding extensions to
XPath 1.0 then sticking with functions is a better idea.

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison