   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

> Sorry, that is simply not correct.
>
> Underlying XML is a data model. That data model is set forth at:
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Datamodel.html

So far as I can tell, that document is on the W3C site, but it has no
authority whatever. It probably represents an an informal consensus in the
W3C and the communities about what an XML data model would be like, were
there to be one -- and of course it is tree-ful, as pointed out below.

> It is not happenstance that all of the "data models" that you cite,
> PSVI, XPath, DOM, are based on the presumption of a tree. The tree model
> underlies all those "data models" and its presence was not a matter of
> chance (or choice). (LMNL does not use that model but then it is not a
> XML data model. It is a data model that can model documents based on the
> XML data model.)
>

> >>As I said, yesterday and I suppose it bears repeating, JITTs can use
> >>standard, valid, well-formed XML documents and syntax for many
> >>things. It can also use XML syntax that violates the XML data model
> >>but I fail to see why that is confusing?

It isn't possible to violate the XML data model because there isn't one.

However, it is not possible to have an XML document that is not
well-formed. Therefore, the examples of XML that use verlapping makrup
said to be "XML". QED.

But that's "just semantics". What Patrikc really meant to say was
something like "XML-like angle bracket languages."

A process that works on XML, broken :-) XML, and arbitrary delimited
syntaxes, and does it efficiiently -- what's not to like?

> I think we need to reach some agreement on the question of the "data
> model" of XML. I think the URL I cite above makes my answer to that
> question fairly clear. Do you have another interpretation of what is
> stated there?

What data model?

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.