   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

Jeni,

Jeni Tennison wrote:

>Hi Patrick,
>
>>>I don't think that I do. I'm quite happy for XML to be interpreted
>>>as the Infoset, as the PSVI, as the XPath data model, as the DOM
>>>data model, as the LMNL data model, indeed as any data model anyone
>>>wants to use with it! XML is a syntax, that's all.
>>>
>>Sorry, that is simply not correct.
>>
>>Underlying XML is a data model. That data model is set forth at:
>>http://www.w3.org/XML/Datamodel.html
>>

>Ahh, I see. This must be the nub of our disagreement.
>
>The document that you quote is not a normative definition of XML.
>There are many normative definitions of data models for XML, including
>the Infoset and XPath.

And it is luck that they all follow a tree based model?

>It's a classic "chicken and egg" thing -- data models and syntaxes are
>intertwined -- but in this case, XML is defined as a syntax, which can
>have many data models; LMNL is defined as a data model, which can have
>many syntaxes.

And all those data models look a lot like trees?

>I don't know how to persuade you of this, but I see that Tim Bray's
>written a message that will hopefully help...

Probably time to end this particular thread. I was trying to convince
you that if everything the W3C has done with XML looks like a tree, then
it must have a tree model. I have failed in that attempt and don't
really have any other evidence to offer. (I don't consider a plethora of
tree based data models persuasive at all that XML has a one syntax and
many data models.)

This is particularly important in light of your insistance that new
models of XML must still comply with the well-formedness strictures of
XML 1.0. You can have any model you like with XML, so long as it is tree
based. (Or convert to some other model but I don't share your confidence
in that strategy.)

But, as Sam Hunting has recently pointed out, all XML processors save
SAX, treat XML documents as trees with a single root, so call JITTs a
challenge to implementations of a non-existent data model in XML.

Patrick