   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

Michael Kay scripsit:

> The problem is that it should have an underlying model, but it hasn't:
> it only has a "overlying" model (the InfoSet) that is retrofitted to the
> syntax. The fact that the model is retrofitted rather than being a
> normative part of XML means that questions like "are comments
> significant" have never been satisfactorily answered.

The Infoset isn't a model, it's a rag-bag of terminology.
See (randomly chosen!) .sig below.

And as for whether comments are significant, the question to ask is
"Significant to whom?"  They're not significant to me, but YMMV.

> If people had defined the model before
> defining the syntax we wouldn't be in this mess.

No, we'd be in analysis paralysis, with no syntax and no tools.

--
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML	John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker	jcowan@reutershealth.com