   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

Tim,

Tim Bray wrote:

> Michael Kay wrote:
>
>> The problem is that it should have an underlying model, but it hasn't:
>

> I couldn't disagree more.  Defining the syntax without the underlying
> data model *maximizes* interoperability because it reduces the number
> of shared assumptions.  The notion that two organizations will share
> the data model for a purchase order or a bill of materials is just
> silly, but they can often deal with each others' serialized output.
> The evidence in the field is overwhelmingly on my side.
>
> XML's lack of a data model is a deliberate, careful design decision,
> and the evidence of recent years is that it was correct.

I obviously disagree but was wondering if there is a record of this
"deliberate, careful design decision" in canonical or non-canonical
documentation about the drafting of XML? (If enforced nesting of
elements is not a defacto data model I am not sure what definition is
being used for data model. Not using the words "data model" does not
make it any less a data model.)

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau