   XForms Annotations (was Annotations in XPath-NG?)

I've been meaning to post something like this to xml-dev for awhile, now.

XForms is probably a good data point to look at for XPath annotations, if
I'm not misunderstanding the discussion.

XForms is fully an XPath spec; brethren to XSLT and XPointer. As for
annotations, XForms defines "model item properties" [1], such as "required",
"relevant", "readonly", etc., which attach to the XPath 1.0 data model on a
per-node basis. Form controls, which also attach to a particular node, alter
their behavior based on the model item properties (which so far can all be
represented as strings) at that node.

From an implementation standpoint, it would be nice to have a way to attach
these extra properties to nodes.

From a standardization standpoint, it would be nice if XPath 2.0 included a
way to access these properties. (We avoided defining accessor functions in
XForms 1.0 because there are some non-trivial complications that can crop
up, related to self-referential calculations, but that's firmly an XForms
problem to solve)

We were mainly looking a function-based access, though I suspect that's just
because extension functions are easier to plug into an existing
implementation (compared to, say, a new axis)

Thanks,

.micah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/index-all.html#model