   Re: [xml-dev] Annotations in XPath-NG? (Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 con

> The main problem is that any of these changes require some fairly
> fundamental changes to the XPath data model, so these aren't things
> that we can just plug on to XPath 1.0. When we set up EXSLT it was an
> explicit aim *not* to go outside the XPath 1.0 data model and the
> allowed set of extensions that you could make to XPath/XSLT 1.0.
> That's why we don't have an if() function, for example. I, at least,
> was keen on EXSLT to be a proving ground for new functions and
> elements that could be rolled into future versions of XSLT.
>
> I'd like to keep EXSLT in that role, rather than making it a
> competitor for XSLT 2.0, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a home
> elsewhere for XPath-NG. (Plus of course it may be that my co-managers
> feel differently about how EXSLT should develop.)

Well, I agree with you, so at the least we'll have a deadlock  ;-)

Seriously, I think that we can host an XPath-NG project without compromising
the core goals of the EXSLT project itself.  Just maintain them separately and
make it clear that they are separate projects with possibly different goals,
though they may involve some of the same conspirators.

xpathng.exslt.org has a nice ring to it.

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
Python&XML column: Tour of Python/XML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.
html
Python/Web Services column: xmlrpclib - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/w