   RE: [xml-dev] RE: evolvable formats

Mike Champion wrote:
  >If you want to leverage commonly deployed code that understands
  >a specific namespace (XHTML, SVG, etc.), the full-blown Namespaces
  >in XML is your friend, well Real Soon Now anyway.

I think the Real Soon Now anyway is more common than 'on the edge' that
is to say it is common enough now that reasonable work can be done with
it; SVG, XHTML, XSL-F0, OEB can be used to specify variant content
outputs, just by understanding that certain media channels ignore
certain inputs. I hope that statement was clear, it seems vague cause it
is based around a lot of stuff I've been doing recently the gist of
which would require much clarification.

  >If you just
  >want to disambiguate tags, it has lots of little gotchas
  >(that "RSS 2.0" seems to have been gotten by!) that make it a
  >challenge for people who don't grok its subtleties.

That's my point on the namespace thing, although I would amend that to
say RSS 2.0 is probably gonna find itself being gotten by. It really
hasn't been around long enough to discover the pains, and who knows
maybe it will all work out for the best.

  >If NS for XML is overkill for you and your users, steal its
  >great idea of leveraging DNS to disambiguate tags, but in
  >a more Desperate Perl Hacker or home-brew parser friendly
  >way.  For example,

  >  <rant class="xegesis.org">Why oh Why oh Why oh Why!!!! </rant>

right, and in fact this form of disambiguation would seem to be in
keeping with RSS keep it simple format.

<aside class="BAD-PUN">Didn't they have a saying on the Simpsons - "A
little Namespacing Disambiguns the most ambiguid Tag"?</aside>

> Why on earth would one even THINK about using entity-encoded
>non-well-formed HTML in a syndication format???  Use the HTML
>tags, but close them!  Use tidy to clean up the junk you get
>from your users!  Why fool with any alternative?  Even if you're
>taking the advice in point 5, just "escape it" with an HTML: line label
>or whatever.  Someone downstream will thank you.

I think, from what I've seen, that this particular sin is most often
committed by people for whom the browser-driven web is the only media
they even think about publishing to. Probably people who know html and
know that they want such and such a line of text to be bold. And since
RSS 0.92 allows them to get it bold via entity-encoded HTML they do so.
Radio Userland is a blogging tool for the smaller syndicators and from
what I've seen it is the smaller syndicator which does this, I would be
surprised if I saw a bigger company doing it - but then again when I was
on Adobe's website recently with my newest build of Mozilla and they
told me to get a new browser that understood javascript so who knows
what the biggies will do.

Maybe the above should be in reference to companies that live off
syndication.