   Re: [xml-dev] RE: evolvable formats

> 10/11/2002 1:13:37 AM, "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I completely agree with Uche's sentiments. When I first saw the RSS
> >brouhaha and read many mentions the need for Ultra-liberal RSS
> >parsers[0] I wondered why they bothered with XML and didn't just use
> >some other format instead. The only reason I can think of is buzzword
> >compliance.
>
> Yup.  My perhaps overly-cryptic references to "RSS 3.0" [1] were intended
> to make the same point.  I'm not sure how seriously anyone in
> the RSS world takes this, but compare [2] and [3] and ask yourself
> what REAL value XML adds in this particular scenario.

An argument that XML fails to "add value" can be made about *any format* by a
suitably determined opponent to XML.  As I say, if I worried about such
opposition, I'd pack up and close up shop.

I believe that anyone who has written parsers for [1], and had to then deal
with the real world stresses on those parsers will have no problem
understanding what value [2] offers.

I've written a *lot* of parsers in my time:  I don't need a lot of convincing
to favor XML formats for machine-processed formats.

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/ind
ex.php/article/articleview/663/1/24/