   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces

10/16/2002 11:09:25 AM, Arjun Ray <aray@nyct.net> wrote:

>In a perfect world, XML Namespaces would be hanged, drawn, quartered,
>incinerated, encased in lead and buried several thousand feet below the
>ocean floor.

Ah, c'mon, tell us how you really feel!

Seriously, a) what specific ways do namespaces bite people who
understand them and use software that supports them properly?
b) What should one do to avoid being bitten, given that they
are pervasive?  c) How would one do it differently in 20:20
hindsight?

I don't think c) is purely academic question.
The gloom and doom in the industry is thick enough right now
(c.f. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/16/technology/16AGEN.html)
that IMHO it's time to think about how to salvage what's truly
valuable for the next wave rather than think happy thoughts
about how it's all going to work out Real Soon Now.  SOMEBODY
is going to do to XML what C did to PL/I, Java did to C++,
and, uhh, what XML did unto SGML.  I don't know
who, or when, but it *will* happen long before most of us retire.