   Re: [xml-dev] Discussion about XML Specification(SE)

I would say this is a bug in the spec. A ">" character marking the nd of a
CDATA section is considered markup, not content. So the "...when that string
is not marking the end of a CDATA section" clause is redundant.

Does it read any more clearly if you drop the offending clause?

In any case, here's how to use this character in content:

1. If you want, you can escape it with a character reference or ">"
2. If it is part of the sequence "]]>" in content, you _must_ escape it.

-Wayne Steele