   Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wa rs!

> Karl Waclawek wrote:
> >
> > This works only when the information exchanged and the behaviour
> > of the client is rather simple. As a corporate developer I have
> > not come across a client yet that I could have implemented
> > with a browser, not from a GUI capability point of view,
> > nor from a user interaction standpoint.
>
> I'm amazed to hear that. You're a corporate developer and your
> corporation has not deployed a single web client app.

I didn't say that there are none, just that the ones
I had to implement could not have been done as web client.

> Not bug tracking. Not content management. Not issue tracking. Not expense report
> submission. Are you saying your intranet does not use HTTP POST, only
> HTTP GET?

Your examples are exactly those that have simple requirements
for interaction client/server interaction. Some of those
we have on the web, simple because - as you said - they
are easy to deploy.

However, the ones we previously had as Windows apps were
seen as a step backwards from the user's point of view,
because they find the browser UI rather clumsy.

Our order entry, e-mail and fax (OCR) processing front ends
are way to heavy on GUI to use a browser. Also, client/server
interaction is occasionally very fine grained, e.g. you
select a category in one combo box, and another list refreshes
accordingly. Don't want to exchange SOAP messages for that,
our network is stretched as it is.

> > And often - this is a heretic opinion here - I would prefer
> > DCOM or CORBA over XML for client/middle tier interaction,
> > simply because XML/SOAP imposes a rather simple communication
> > model, unless one is willing to re-invent CORBA based on XML.
>
> How can the two halves of your sentence be reconciled? If XML can
> emulate CORBA then it by definition does not impose a communication
> model that is less sophisticated than CORBA.

Well, following that line of thought, using smoke signals
would also be as sophisticated as CORBA (just a little slow).

My point is: everything that is missing compared
to CORBA I would have to implement myself - or buy some
bulky third party libraries that seem to exist.
But then the question is: Why do that if CORBA already
exists, is mature and free (TAO, OmniORB, MICO).
And don't tell me it is too difficult to use.
I have been there, and it is actually surprisingly simple.

Karl