   RE: [xml-dev] Java package for XPath 1.0

> Speaking of more the merrier...
>
> I was wondering: I'm graduating this December on Informatics
> and Computing Engineering in Faculty of Porto, Portugal (I
> guess most of you know Porto from the Port Wine.. ;). The
> thing is I was looking for some research topic to dedicate
> myself for the next year or so. Either that, or do some
> training in a company - considering the current economic
> situation (and the kind of jobs being offered), I do prefer research.
>
> I'd like to know if any of you were to do research (or
> implementing something as is the case of this Java XPath
> implementation) on some topic XML-related what would you
> choose? I was thinking about XQuery.. But then there's also
> Semantic Web, and so many others! So, if you were to do
> research in any topic of your choice, what would you do?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Miguel Branco

There's actually been surprisingly little academic work on XSLT and
XPath implementation, and what there has been has been largely the sort
of "I can write one too" exercise which in my view does not count as
real research and should certainly not be supported by taxpayers' money.

Given that there are quite a few open source implementations, I think
quite a good one-year research project would be to compare and contrast
them, analyzing which optimization features appear to make the most
significant contribution. Resist the temptation to write
yet-another-processor yourself, and you could really add value by
analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the work done by others.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com