   Re: [xml-dev] Java package for XPath 1.0

Hi,

> > I would like to inform you that we have just released a
> > package for XPath (version 1.0). The implementation is based
> > on the XPath W3C Recommendation available at:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116
> >

> Could you give some clues as to what this package offers that other Java
> XPath implementations don't?

There are some differences and Alexander will write more about them in
a while.

Our goal is to make some of the basic packages of our system available to
more
people, because we already have some request to do this.

> There's actually been surprisingly little academic work on XSLT and
> XPath implementation, and what there has been has been largely the sort
> of "I can write one too" exercise which in my view does not count as
> real research and should certainly not be supported by taxpayers' money.

Usually the decision for implementing a new engine (XPath, XSLT or other)
comes after a painful experience with somebody's implementations. Even
not free packages don't support all of the necessary functionality.

BTW, I think there are some works about optimizations of XPath queries and
such staff done by academics.

> Given that there are quite a few open source implementations, I think
> quite a good one-year research project would be to compare and contrast
> them, analyzing which optimization features appear to make the most
> significant contribution. Resist the temptation to write
> yet-another-processor yourself, and you could really add value by
> analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the work done by others.

Good idea.

With best regards,

Kiril

Kiril Simov