   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

> It is unfathomable to me that the people at Corel would give up the
opportunity to define in-memory data
> structures optimized for the algorithms that differentiate them from
> their competitors. Same for SAP, Quicken, Word, WordPerfect, etc.

What form would shared "in-memory data structures" take?

Dynamic link libraries (Windows) and shared libraries (Unix) permit some measure
of code and data sharing across disparate programming languages. In some cases,
for example, you can share text segments. However, DLLs and shared libraries are
not interoperable across operating systems (and even some variants of the same
OS).

Likewise C++, Smalltalk and other languages could not share classes (at link
time or execution time). That lead us to the development of COM and CORBA. We
know those tend to be platform-centric technologies, which has clearly been a
major factor in the rise of XML and SOAP.