   Languages named for mediocre comedy, dictionaries, generators and XML pr

> Danny Ayers scripsit:
> >
> > sayeth the functional programmer :
> > >Python is essentially Scheme with indentation instead of parentheses.
> >
> > sayeth the OO programmer :
> > Python is essentially Java with indentation instead of braces.
> >
> > sayeth the procedural programmer :
> > >Python is essentially Pascal with indentation instead of (errm) newlines.
>
> Yes, these are true too.  But Python 2.x has continuations (somewhat hidden,
> but they're there, aka a non-LIFO control regime.  No other language in
> non-research use has that except Scheme.

Just to be clear, generators emerged with Python 2.2.  You can get straight up
continuations, coroutines, microthreads and a truly fabulous menagerie in
Stackless Python [1], though Christian Tismer, the Stackless guru, has decided
to cull the herd a bit since Guido accepted Generators, on which you can build
at least microthreads and coroutines.

And ya better believe it: Generators+XML rock the park, for real [2].  Besides
Python's powerful dictionaries, they are probably the most useful core idiom
I've seen in a mainstream language through the glass of XML processing.

[1] http://www.stackless.com/
[2] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-tipgenr.html

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html