   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: xpath1() scheme for XPointer

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>

> (Somewhat paradoxically, I'm hoping that xpath1() will encourage the
> creation of more XInclude implementations, in order that these issues are
> encountered more frequently and best practices can start to evolve.)

I've never quite cottened on to why XIncludes are useful.  Is it because
the longevity of ID/IDREF means that "document scope" has not gone
away, yet because entities are not first-class constructs in XML the current
generation of tools promotes an all-element solution (and bugger the
structure)?

Another aspect, I suppose, is that specs like WXS which have an include
element want to make use of the include statement as a part of modularization:
instead of arbitrary inclusions, perhaps people want more domain-specific
modularization.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe