   Re: [xml-dev] Note from the Troll

On Sunday 27 October 2002 11:49 am, tblanchard@mac.com wrote:

> 4) Schema is really an insane spec.  I mentioned just the data types -
> too many too complicated.  Do we have to specify the number of bytes
> for the ints?  Thats a physical issue and for this Smalltalker it
> doesn't even make sense (Smalltalk handles arbitrary sized numbers).

Hey, have you looked at ASN.1? If not ask me offlist and I'll explain what I
mean.

> It
> entertained and challenged their intellect to work with it.  I'm
> beginning to suspect the same about XML.

I have to say that the ASN.1 lists aren't like XML-DEV. Rather than huge wars
about what mental model to use for the existing stuff, it's huge wars about
how best to fulfill new requirements - by the time a new requirement has been
implemented and has become an existing thing everyone either agrees with it
or has accepted that they hold a minority viewpoint and know WHY the final
decision was made even if they don't entirely agree :-)

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen