   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] "Future of Software and Databases" NetSeminar (Decem

On Sunday 27 October 2002 12:46 pm, Michael Kay wrote:

> I generally argue that XML is designed primarily for information
> interchange, and that the requirement for storage is secondary: it
> arises whenever there is a time-lapse between someone writing the
> message and someone else wanting to read it. Messages are stored only to
> facilitate interchange.

I've got the strong impression that the original XML was designed to be used
like HTML - poked about by people by hand or with WYSIWYG editors and left
sat on disks, and sometimes generated by .php scripts, then sucked over a
network and processed from time to time.

I'd call that 'publishing' and instead define 'interchange' as stuff that's
more directly based around dynamic processing, where each document is made on
the fly. That's what people are often doing with XML, but it's still coming
up for storage - a few file formats use it, more fool them - and publishing -
I've seen a few static XML files on web servers in my time.

> Michael Kay
> Software AG

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen