   Re: [xml-dev] Note from the Troll

tblanchard@mac.com wrote:
>> the assertion that XML fails as [...] a markup language
>> (markup shouldn't require well-formedness)

which Amy Lewis took exception to:

> *ABSOLUTELY* disagreed.
>
> Well-formedness is the thing that makes XML worthwhile.

and then went on to criticize markup minimization.

In the realm of document markup, I think that the part
of well-formedness that requires strict element inclusion
and therefore a strict hierarchy *is* limiting; we
have recently seen discussion here on overlapping trees
within a single document.  While omitted tags and
other SGML minimization features are likely not worth
the cost, being able to apply markup metadata to
arbitrary ranges without having to use out-of-line
methods might help avoid extremes like the reported
every-word-is-an-element MS "WordML".  (What do they
do when only *part* of a word is bold/underline/whatever?)

--
Kian-Tat Lim, ktl@ktlim.com, UTF-7: +Z5de+pBU-