   RE: [xml-dev] XForms and XDocs (Was: MS office XML)

There are always multiple forces at work in adoption of specifications.  The
timing of releases of technical work is one.  XForms was predated by different
attempts at a modular GUI system, some of which predate XML itself.   It
is clearly unwise to hold back the implementors until the W3C shows an
active interest in some area.   XDocs may fall into that area, work that was
in progress before XForms and which continued in parallel.

A bigger issue that has become increasingly disturbing is the attempts
of other policy groups to obstruct innovation through normative support
of particular organizations.   While these may be well-intentioned, they
are bad policy.   Reviewing the Draft Federal XML Developer's Guide
from the US Federal CIO Council XML Working Group, I found misguided
rationale requiring program managers to support W3C specifications even
if better specifications can be found.   The terms of guidance, for example,
precludes the use of RELAX NG given XML Schemas.   Basically, if the
W3C shows an interest in an area of technology, a program manager would
have to wait for it to be fielded.   This document clearly is bad policy.

We cannot innovate based on policy that requires all competitors to
run only as fast as the slowest runner.

len

From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]

Of course, if XDocs flies then MS may feel free to ignore XForms (subject to Len's comments on the topic). Since relatively little has been made public about XDocs, it seems to me that it is too early to tell for sure either way.