   Re: [xml-dev] Do We Need James Clark to get Good Recs?

Paul Prescod writes:
>Corporate defined specs can also be awful. But the problem is that the
>corporations are loathe to ignore it after they've already sold it to
>their customers as the solutions to all of their problems.

Individuals creating specs face a serious uphill battle in getting their
proposals noticed, much less implemented.

It may just be that the approaches used for creating, selling, and
developing specs in corporate environments aren't, um, brutal enough to
ensure a sufficiently high rate of natural selection.  (Or perhaps the
brutality is too much in the business side, too little in the tech.)

I used to have the sense (through maybe 1997?) that the W3C was a
research organization that took chances in creating specs and putting
them out in the world for either success or failure.  Now I get much
more of the sense that W3C specs are expected to rule because of their
W3C sponsorship, for better or worse, and that's a very different set of
circumstances.

At root, it just seems to be a problem of uneven distribution of
resources - time, cash, mindshare - so ideas that start out with those
advantages tend to retain those advantages.

I'm hoping that RELAX NG can overcome those hurdles and demonstrate that
technical excellence can still be important in a world where corporate
adoption and sales pitches seem all too commonly dominant.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether